The Benefits of Swiss Cheese
Most people know how amazing Swiss cheese tastes, but do you know about all the benefits of choosing Swiss?
We know that cheese can sometimes have a reputation for packing on the pounds. And while that may be the case with some cheeses, Swiss cheese is known for being among the healthiest of cheeses. Swiss is lower in fat and sodium, making it an easy choice to fit into your healthful diet.
Let’s cut right to the chase and list out some of the benefits of Swiss:
- Protein: Just one ounce of Swiss cheese packs a whopping 8 grams of protein. Compare that to American cheese at 5 grams.
- Calcium: It’s no secret that cheese is a good source of calcium – and Swiss cheese does not disappoint, with 270mg in each ounce. That’s 22 percent of your daily value!
- Lower sodium: An ounce of Swiss contains just 54mg of sodium, or 2 percent of your daily value. Compare that to the 468mg in an ounce of American cheese.
- Phosphorus: Calcium and phosphorus are critical for bone formation as well as helping to maintain bone density. Swiss cheese contains higher levels of phosphorus than other cheeses.
- Vitamin B-12: When compared with other types of cheeses, Swiss cheese is known to have the most B-12 of any of its peers. B-12 is known for being an essential part of your overall health with particular benefits to your circulatory and nerve health.
All that said, we know you won’t really be thinking about all of those benefits when you are slicing up your Swiss cheese or making a recipe to share with your family. But now you know, and we bet that will make it taste even better.